15/08/2011

borage, pronounced like porridge one presumes

borage, also known as starflower

So the mystery has been solved, my fabulous mystery wildflower is borage and top marks to my Dad and Uncle for spotting it and letting me know.  My Dad also helpfully told me that my miniature violets were in fact violas so it would seem that he will now be employed as my chief flower naming blog moderator. Well done Dad.

Yesterday was Sunday and we went walking in the forest which was brilliant.


Back in April/May, when we actually had a period of hot sunny weather, some kids deliberately set fire to our forest (really stupid huh).  Because it had been so hot and dry (I know, in England and everything), the fires just raged out of control and for days there was traffic chaos, people being evacuated from their homes and fire-fighters doing their best to bring it all under control.

Being out in the middle of the forest yesterday made us appreciate how bad it actually was.  It was frightening to see how much damage was done and especially how close to houses the fire got!  But mostly it was amazing to see how quickly the natural environment rights itself after such a blow, really good to see lots of new growth, lots of green shoots and generally a feeling of getting back to being forestry again.


lonely, chargrilled Christmas tree but surrounded by green grass
blackened tree trunks but lots of bright green ferns in the background
On a lighter note weather and the heather were both out in full force yesterday.  The sun was actually shining for once and there were lovely, huge carpets of lavender and pink coloured heather growing everywhere.  Bees were bumbling around, the birds were singing and there were lots of people out and about and walking their dogs too.

Tilly enjoyed herself, didn't get any good pics of her as she doesn't tend to stay still for too long, she especially loves chasing pine cones so if you kick them, she will chase - all good fun if you are a puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma