20/10/2011

four ways to get your oats!

I love this porridge time of year, can't wait to get my first packet of Scott's Porage Oats out for the season and my little blue and white Whittard cup that I seem to have had for years and yet is only used for this porridgey purpose.


I know that lots of people don't like porridge or think that it's boring so I thought I would show you four ways to make it a bit more interesting.  I normally have one of the three fruity versions and then I decided to throw in a wild card version I saw on an american food blog.

Apple and Cinnamon/Banana and Walnut
Peanut Butter and Jelly/Brown Sugar and Sultanas


For all versions you need to cook your porridge in the usual way - 1 cup of oats with 2 cups of water or milk (I use a water and milk mixture) and microwave for three and a half minutes.  Check your porridge packet for alternatives or stove top instructions.

Apple and Cinnamon.

This is one of my favourites,  when you are cooking the porridge include a teaspoon of cinnamon in the mixture, you could add some sugar too but I don't think you'll need it.

When cooked, slice an apple on the top, drizzle some honey or syrup over the top of the sliced apple and sprinkle with some more cinnamon.  For my apple slicing I use this ace apple corer and it makes such a pretty picture (like an apple flower), I though I'd include it in this post :o)


Banana and Walnut.

Take your standard porridge mixture and stir a chopped banana in saving some for the top.  Drizzle with honey or syrup and add chopped walnuts.


Brown Sugar and Sultanas.

Brown sugar is lovely on porridge, sprinkle lots on and then add a handful of sultanas.

Peanut Butter and Jelly.

Okay, okay this is a complete wild card but try it..you might like it.  Just stir in a tablespoon (or two depending on your love of peanuts) of peanut butter and add a blob of jam to the top.

Ta da! There you have it, lots of ways to make your porridge taste good, you've got no excuse now.

Me? Well I could happily eat my porridge plain (with just a touch of salt), but it makes mornings interesting to add something tasty in there.  Give it a try, you might like it.

3 comments:

  1. It's all about Mornflake oats! they mill the best oats by far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma