22/11/2011

the week I learned how to crochet


lulaveggie on Etsy
I have long been a fan of crocheted blankets in particular the so called 'granny blankets' made up of small crochet 'granny squares' that are usually brightly coloured and crocheted together to look really pretty especially when made with bright colours and edged in black like these examples.


lulaveggie on Etsy
So, I decided in my infinite wisdom, that I was going to learn how to crochet so I could make my own granny blanket! Nothing like starting small and working your way up huh?  Off I went to get a crochet needle, a book and some practice wool in green and blue, sat down and started trying to crochet.

Have to say, easy to do a stitch...hurrah!  Anyone can do it, just put a slip knot on the needle and pull the wool through the knot.  Ta da!

Not so easy to get the hang of stitching, double stitching, treble stitching etc and all the other stuff you need to do in order to be able to create the pretty squares you see above...much respect for the crochet genius like lulaveggie above.

Not easy peasy at all, I sat for hours trying, trying and trying again until my fingers were hurting (seriously), but I was determined - with furrowed brow and everything - to get it. 

Well after three days of practice, intense scrutiny of various excellent YouTube crochet teachers and sheer determination I created this....


Whoohoooooo..I danced about a bit, much to Mr P's astonishment but the relief at finally 'getting it' was huge.  I then immediately started learning how to change colours, create borders and everything, well not everything but you know what I mean.


Soon I had created two granny squares, edged them and crocheted them together.....phew.  Not long before I'm a champion crocheter, eh?...ahem!  I've spoken to my real life granny (aka Nanny) and she has also offered to help me out a bit with technique and stitches etc, which is great because it means I'll be learning from the best.



My next (aka first) project is taken from Nicki Trench's amazing crochet book Cute and Easy Crochet - I lurve this book and spend hours drooling over the cool and pretty things she's crocheted (I know, bit sad huh), and this blanket caught my eye.  Well its the first in the book and supposedly to be relatively easy so I'm giving it a go because its got me by the teeth and won't let me go.


Should be relatively okay, these are the squares I learned from so essentially I just need to crochet, oh, you know, 432 more of them (432!!  Blooming heck!)..ha ha.  Will keep you posted on my progress, wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Where's the button for ordering one of your creations? D and I were just saying we really wanted one of the concentric square stripe ones... Ready in time for Xmas?! I'm actually very jealous of your skill already, you'll have to show me the basics when we're next down.

    Lots of love,
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I just happened upon your blog and feel very honoured that you liked my blankets enough to mention them. Thankyou!!
    If I can help in your learning process at all feel free to message me on Etsy and I'll do what I can! Looks very good so far though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh unfortunately no buttons for ordering just yet Geoff but watch out for next Christmas as I have a feeling you'll be getting all crochet based gifts...and then you'll be sorry...hahahahaaa Can't wait to see you in a couple of weekends...lots of love Emma xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lulaveggie you are more than welcome, your blankets are fantastic and I am in lurve with them...xx

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma