23/02/2012

what's the world's best lip balm?

I have to confess that I am a lip balm addict.  Yes it is true, another random and harmless addiction confession from Bloom Towers.

This addiction has taken many forms over the years but has stayed with me since being very small.  I still remember my first lip balm, it was grape flavoured and bought in Hong Kong where we lived at that time.  I can't remember its name, just that it smelt nice.

My second lip balm and probably the one that started this whole thing (thing, addiction, compulsion, whatever), was an Avon Little Blossom lip balm which was tinted a cherry pink - oh and I loved it.

....and so it begins.  Source 
I started looking around to see if I could find some pictures of it and found this one from someone who has collected all this stuff.  It really takes me back to being very small (and very annoying).

I'm pretty sure it'll bring some memories back for my Mum too, she knew I loved this stuff and got me lots of great presents from the range, such as peel off nail tint and very (very) classy cologne. I have to include a picture of the nail tint as it takes me right on back in time....gulp.

Source

Anyway, I digress, this is a post about the world's best lip balm and yes I know a somewhat overly confident post title but really after many years (too many years) and a lifetime of lip balm purchases, I can confidently tell you that there is only one lip balm that properly fixes really sore and cracked lips and only one lip balm (or wonder product as it is often referred as) that really hydrates your average chapped and dry lips.

A bold claim but hear me out and remember that I am the lip balm master, I probably was a lip balm in a previous life!


First things first, here is my current collection, now I'm pretty sure there are others dotted around the house, these are just the ones I collected up from handbags, drawers, pencil cases and pockets this morning.  Be prepared to be shocked (and slightly disappointed in me).



Is that bad?  Do other people have this many lip balms??  I wonder.

Anyway, the one that I consider to be the very best and the only one that actually fixes broken lips is not in this line up....but I can reveal that it is.....Blistex Relief Cream.

Source Blistex.co.uk
I mean seriously this stuff is ACE!  It tingles when it goes on, makes your lips look lush and shiny and fixes every (I mean EVERY) tatty, sore and chapped lip ever.  I am now slightly concerned that I don't have this in my arsenal!

Do buy this if you suffer from sore lips and I think it is even quite good for cold sores, you will love it and never look back.




Moving straight on to the second best product and I have many tubes of this stuff, it is the wonder of Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream.




Good lord, this stuff is GOOD.  I'm not sure how a person could live without it.  It is so brilliant, thick and soothing and I always, always (much to Mr P's consternation) put this on just before I go to sleep so I wake up with some super smooth filter tips (ha, just found out that is the cockney rhyming slang for lips, made me chuckle)!!  They also do it in a lipstick format and I have that too but for some reason don't use it as much.  Hmmmm.  Only trouble with this product is its cost, it's a wee bit expensive and you could just use the best of the rest selection below if you are watching the pennies.

Finally, the original and quite possibly the best of the rest and also highly recommended.  Unfortunately not the cherry variety but brilliant just the same, the ChapStick people have been at this game for 120 years!! Blimey, no wonder it's such good stuff.  And in terms of price, this baby is the best value for money too.




Now, onto the rest of the products in my photo of shame.


They are all (mostly), quite nice, some smell great - in particular the Smiths Rosebud Salve and the Burts Bees, some feel nice on - especially the Nivea ones which are both purchased by Mr P and borrowed (indefinitely) by me and some just have a great name - see Fanny & Claude's Fabulous Concocktions above!  But for the most part all they seem to do is provide a bit of moisture for a short while - which is fine in most cases - but they don't do much fixing, and sometimes a person needs some fixing on their lips.

We watched The Good, The Bad and The Ugly last night and Eli Wallach - who, in my humble opinion, completely steals the show - certainly needed some Chap Stick in some of his scenes, I mean check out this film still - come on Eli, got a bit of lower lip chapping going on there, sort it out love.




Enough now, I'm off to moisturise my lips some more. Mwah!

ps. another quite good brand is Carmex - they do a lovely pot of cherry lip balm which I used to have on my desk at work, hmm wonder where that is!



1 comment:

  1. Hey Girls! Some really interesting info on here. Thought you peeps would like Lipice Pink Sheen Gloss, I just love this stuff. It goes on smooth and makes your lips feel amazing. Like with most lip balms you don't have to reapply this every 5 minutes and you see a difference with the condition of your lips. Mine used to be very chapped and would sometimes crack, but now they are smooth and hydrated. Really great stuff! Should also add I just love the taste.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma