14/06/2012

how to crochet a loveheart



First things first.  I have never attempted a crochet tutorial before..gulp! I feel it is only fair to make you aware of this right from this start as it may be a bit rubbish and I apologise in advance if it is or if it doesn't quite make sense!  Disclaimer out of the way, some background information...

Having taught myself to crochet last year, I completely fell in love with it, so much so that I now have a huge number of projects on the go, am constantly being told off for leaving stashes of wool lying around the house and basically have become a bit of a crochet geek (I have even been known to do it in bed)!

Recently I found myself changing designs and doing things differently so that I can crochet in a way that I personally feel is more aesthetically pleasing and this led me to modify the small loveheart design from Little Birdie Secrets that I blogged about here, in order that it be slightly neater and could incorporate a way to hang them immediately (given that I am currently obsessed with hanging heart trees in my house as mentioned here).  You can of course use the original design, which is lovely, especially if you are making them for applique purposes.

But I digress.



For those of you who are brand new to crochet, this little loveheart is an easy peasy project to start you off.  I found the following basics video and follow up video that I think best explains the basics and the stitches that you will need to complete this project. Give them a watch, have a little practice and off you go - feel free to email me if you need any tips or advice.

Lets get started then.  I have used US crochet terms throughout which I know is damning to the British crochet sisterhood but lets face it, the American terms make much more sense..don't they?

You will need:

Some wool or yarn - I'm using an acrylic aran weight yarn from Sirdar - which I think is called worsted weight in the US.
A crochet hook - I'm using a Clover hook in size 4mm
Some scissors
A yarn needle

Step 1.  make a knot on your crochet hook and then chain 4.


Step 2.  slip stitch into the first stitch you made to form a loop.




Step 3.  once you have your loop, chain 3.



Step 4.  do three treble crochets into the loop you have made (now the centre of your heart).



Step 5.  followed by three double crochets into the centre loop - halfway there.


Step 6. do one treble crochet, three double crochets and finally three treble crochets to make the other side of your heart (so it is mirrored to the other side).  This is what it should look like and you are nearly finished.


Step 7.  chain three and then slip stitch into the centre of your heart.



Step 8.  pull through enough yarn to create a loop to hang your heart up.


Step 9.  snip off your yarn and you will be left with two ends, tie these in a knot to secure them.



Step 10.  sew in your two ends through the back of the heart to stop them coming loose.


Step 11.  sit back and admire your handiwork.



There you have it.  Now you can make lots of lovely crochet hearts with which to decorate your home (note: Tilly is so impressed she has passed out in the background!!).

Good luck and remember to email me for help and/or advice and also send me links to pics/posts featuring your finished lovehearts.

ps. no I did not colour coordinate my nails and my wool deliberately, honest ;o)

7 comments:

  1. Hello Emma
    Please pop over to my blog. I have left something there for you.

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for sharing this lovely tutorial!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Thank you for sharing the tutorial!! :) I just need to get myself a crochet hook and some wool and I am on a roll...
    Hugs to Tilly too...that part did make me smile, I know with Basil my dog if it isn't a squeaky toy or something edible, he isn't interested :P
    Have a lovely weekend..
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial! I'd love to give this a try! Maybe it's time for me to take up a new hobby! And I love the color of your nails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these, crochet hearts always make me smile :) Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just gave these a whirl! I LoVe this little pattern, thank you so much for sharing!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great tutorial ... great for visual learners, like me ... will try and add little love hearts to my repetoire! Thanks a million, Bee x

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma