26/07/2012

how to be a pregnant bride


You got a giant baby bump?

Check.

You got a big fat ass?

Check.

Your boobs have taken on a life of their own?

Check, check, check.

Then combine all these things with you going to the chapel registry office to get married and you qualify to be a pregnant bride or to put it another way (and my particular favourite way), you've got yourself a shotgun wedding...huzzah for you.

Your prize?  Well, um. There isn't really a prize (apart from that dish you get to marry) but you have to kinda make the best of it and know that everyone, I mean EVERYONE, will stare at you.  Once you get your head round that, it's easy peasy, especially if you run off and do it in secret like we did, this strategy properly limits the number of people who can stare at you and it worked for me.


I tried not to panic.  Even when the registry office said they couldn't fit us in until mid-July and I had phoned in April thinking I'd get a date sometime in May or June or in other words sometime when my bump wasn't too giant.  But 18th July....that would put me at 30 weeks pregnant and oh my gosh I was worried about looking like pregnant Jessica Simpson (ie. massive!) and doing that sort of waddle thing down the Kings Road.....classy!

The dress I got was from a brilliant online maternity shop called Tiffany Rose and yes I found it by googling "maternity wedding dress" and yes that did make me chuckle and momentarily wonder if I ever thought I would be googling that particular phrase ever in my life (the answer was a resounding NO).


They have the prettiest maternity wedding dresses, and I know it's a bit stable door, horse bolted to wear white (or cream or indeed ivory as I believe my dress is), when you have a giant baby belly sticking out the front of you but I wanted to look bridey and they had lots to choose from... so many that it was actually quite hard to choose the 'one'.

I knew I wanted a short dress and I knew I wanted a low neckline so I didn't look like two boobs and a bump on a stick (obviously I still did but my mind is glossing over that particular fact), so that narrowed things down a bit and I eventually chose the one I'm wearing which is called the Flutter Dress.

All their dresses are sized as dual sizes so if you feel a bit inbetweeny and are not sure what size to go for you feel safe..well I did anyway given that I bought the dress ages ago and wasn't sure what size I would be on the day.

As it happened though, the dress is made from the stretchiest fabric known to man and I reckon I could have fitted two baby bumps in it.  It was super comfortable and made me feel like a million dollars, I especially like the white ribbon as a finishing touch, like wrapping your big belly up and presenting it on a plate....ta-da...here I am! (note: this will only work if there is actually a baby in there)!!


I added a beautiful gold filigree brooch that belonged to Mr P's beloved Mum and as she is no longer with us we felt that it added something extra special to the day, it made both of us a bit teary when we put it on the dress anyway.

What else can I tell you?  I'm not going to say wear comfy flat shoes because that would just be wrong, what bride wants to wear comfy flats??

But I will say this, wear whatever makes you feel good because frankly you'll look lovely anyway because you are blooming.  Don't overdo it (no frou-frous, muu-muus, kaftans or ballgowns), keep it simple and smile.

16 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely brooch and reason for wearing it on your wedding....and don't you just look radiant ....and doesn't that dress look scrumptious and you doll inside it too.....and aren't you just proud of that beautiful bump that will soon oh so soon be your little one in your arms, the proof of the love you bear for each other......huh!!... and didn't you just walk down them steps with pride then....and I'm sure you'll tell me you did?

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me again
      I forgot

      I've got a giveaway on the go.....pop by when you can :-)

      A xx

      Delete
  2. Hello Emma!
    Keep it up like this, and you'll become one of my favorite writers! I always laugh when I read your posts!

    You look great and believe me, I live in Greece and pregnant women would kill to be like you in size! ;) (i.e. You're not fat.)

    What a nice post! Mr P is a lucky man! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh you look beautiful Emma - I absolutely love your dress!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. A big congrats on your wedding!! :) You look just stunning and what a beautiful dress! The brooch is such a lovely touch as well..
    Wishing you a lifetime of happy years together...
    Magie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma you looked beautiful - your wedding dress is so gorgeous and the brooch makes it all so much more special .... and that bow is wrapping the best present you will ever receive! Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look lovely, congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to say, you pulled off the maternity wedding dress far better than any other pregnant bride I've known (and I've known quite a few!)
    And I applaud the decision to wear heels. I wore ballet flats at my own wedding (but I'm also 4 inches taller than my husband, so that did influence it a bit.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emma, I found your blog through Amanda from Crafty on the Med. I think you are lovely! You look happy and in love and that's what is most important. Congratulations on your wedding and on the upcoming baby. Enjoy life. It's too short to do anything else.

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emma, you look STUNNING! Love your wedding dress! I want one for me even I'm married and not pregnant :o) These lace are charming and the bowl with your Family's brooch as a finishing touch look perfect. You are so beautiful bride!
    Happy weekend to you and your Family
    Love
    Natasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goegeous! I'm also tempted to cram my bump in a Tiffany Rose and make a respectable woman of myself ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, you guys are all scrumptious. Thank you so much for taking the time to leave lovely comments, it means so much...feeling all weepy now...sniff, sniff...PAH pregnancy hormones playing up again :o) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. You look gorgeous!!! And I think it's lovely that the whole family was at the wedding - baby makes three, and all that. Happy days! And hugest congratulations to you and Mr P. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Emma, you look gorgeous! And that dress is beautiful and simple. Perfect.Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, very nice to meet you!

    Best wishes, TNMA.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you look so beautiful in this dress!!!
    I wish you all the best, my dear!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a truely beatiful bride you made.

    The dress is absolutely perfect
    and your bump is so neat.

    You look elegant but also a yummy mummy

    Gorgeous

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma