11/07/2012

so how is Tilly?


She's okay.

Bloody cute as ever.  Mr P took this pic of her with monkey looking very sweet and butter wouldn't melt!

She, like us, is finding the whole kitchen extension 'situation' quite difficult.

She has no access to the garden and so has gone from spending a good proportion of her day running around, chasing birds and eating sticks in the safety of our (stupidly long) garden, to being taken across the road to a lay-by for a wee twice a day in between walks - we sure are a classy bunch in this house!!

To make matters worse we think she has hayfever.  I KNOW! Who knew that dogs got hayfever?? If you all knew this already then yep I feel quite silly now.

It started off with her having conjunctivitis back in June and since then her eyes always seem to be a bit weepy, which they weren't before.

grrrrrrr!!!

She has also become obsessed with rolling around and rubbing her face in grass and then on the rug when we get home.  We started off thinking this was cute and then it became annoying and finally a bit odd so we googled it.  Yep, hayfever.

The lowdown on doggy hayfever is that it makes their skin itchy and so they roll around and rub a lot to sooth the itch.  It seems that children's benedryl or some such anti-histamine is a good cure but we're not too keen on doing that yet, going to take her to the vets and see what they recommend.  If they say you can't take her out in grassy areas or let her rub herself in the grass then we are going to be a bit buggered to say the least!!

She also has a new admirer.



Well, not really.  Tilly sort of stole Delta's bone and every time Delta tried to get anywhere near her, Tilly turned into a growling, aggressive menace!  Which was a bit of a shock given that she's usually a silly, soppy, playful girl.

Also, and rather unfortunately for us, Tilly has never had a raw meat bone before (whereas it's Delta's staple diet) and so that night she sort of decorated the kitchen floor and was proper poorly for two days.  Oh dear.  My folks were not popular with Mr P, who had to clear it up (whoops), but I take full responsibility, I shouldn't have let her near the bone and as penance I spent the day bleaching the kitchen floor repeatedly to try and get rid of the icky smell.  This is a pleasant blog post isn't it, bet you're dead chuffed to be reading about dog poop on a Wednesday morning!!

So once again vegetarians rule, meat is for losers and it's back to dried food and carrots for our delicate little flower :o)


Remember kids, you're always safe with a carrot!

15 comments:

  1. Ohh my dear friend Emma, What can I say to you..:)) You have cute dogs.. Cute cute so cute.. I Really want to recommend you a treatment for conjunctivitis and allergic rhinitis (hayfever). But I am pathologist. Treatment is not my department. But I know that vets will give some anti-allergic medicines or probably injections for sweet Tilly.
    I wish I would be there and treat and care sweet Tilly..:((
    I really want to hear news about Tilly, Please may I.?
    Thnk you and best wishes..:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Beck, I try to post about Tilly about once a month so will keep you updated, she is such a superstar :o) xxx Have a great day..xx

      Delete
  2. Oh Tilly is so gorgeous! I never knew pets could get hay fever either :)
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emma,

    Just having my morning coffee and slice of toast when I read your post... eeuug!!!!

    Bit I am sorry to hear Tilly has been unwell.
    I have never heard of dogs having hayfever before so it's not just you!

    I get it and it is a complete nuisance and during the months of June / July I look as though I spend my days crying as my eyes are all puffy and red - not a good look.
    Hopefully the vet will recommend something for her.

    Didn't envy you the puke clean-up!!!
    Dirty nappies in a few weeks will be a total doddle for you after that!

    Hope you have a good day Emma, I'm having a bit of a late start
    but enjoying it!

    x Fiona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry I ruined your breakfast..I should have started the post with a warning..ha haaaaa and yes my folks said the same thing about preparing us for the nappy onslaught!! You have a good day too xxx

      Delete
  4. Awe..bless. Poor Tilly, I hope her hay-fever gets better. She sure is a cutie.
    Yes, I find Basil (my doggie) doesn't always agree either with certain bones..I usually stick with sweet potato (which he just loves!)..odd I know. I wouldn't have ever thought of giving a dog sweet potato, but he took/stole one as a puppy and he can't get enough of the stuff now :P
    Have a lovely day today x
    Magie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I never...sweet potato!! I shall have to try that one on Tilly and keep her on the vegetarian straight and narrow :o)

      You have a lovely day too xxx

      Delete
  5. OH! Tilly Tilly aren't you a beautiful gorgeous girl...drown in 'dem eyes I would´!!!
    So sorry Tilly is poorly....Vet best bet for sure although so expensive....I tremble every time I have to go with Willie...and he trembles lots because he is mortally afraid of the vets ( there are two sisters hence the plural)

    Yukkkkkk and double Yuk!!!! here goes my vivid imagination again....but cat poo all over my bed is disgusting too when that happened I had to keep reminding myself I loved Willie very much and he is a real old puss now...needless to say sheets went in the dustbin and I thanked all the deities past and present it had not gone through to the mattress.

    Keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to add:
      I absolutely ADORE the grrr photo :-)

      A x

      Delete
    2. Vets!!! So expensive!!! But so necessary...and yes Tilly is not so keen either...the grrr photo is funny isn't it, bless her :o) Have a good day Amanda..xx

      Delete
  6. So cute dog your Tilly, Emma :o) Isn`t she? Love your and your husband`s pictures as well
    Happy and sunny day to you all
    love
    Natasha & Fam.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emma, well as gross as it might be (and most of us pet owners have to cope with something like that once in a while) your post did make me laugh! At least Kitchens can be cleaned. We had a puppy who kept weeing on my bed. would be bad enough in most circumstances but I had a brand new feather topper for my bed. we tried washing it (big mistake) and then couldn't get it dry ( we had trouble lifting it onto the rotary line and I'm pretty sure the line never recovered!!) eventually I went back to the catalogue where I got it from and said "you said it was washable! I am here to tell you its not and it smells!!" so I had to put it in a black bag and wait for someone to come and pick it up and take it away so I could get my refund! I bet the person who had to drive it around all day loved us!! looking forward to reading more of your blog and hearing about Tilly the Cute! I have a Dulcie dog and a Dandelion Bunny (affectionally called Bun Bun by my friends son) love Teri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cute pooch. I have never heard of dog nay fever but to be fair I've not had a dog before.
    Let's hope the kitchen is finished soon so your doggy gets some garden time :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful hound :D

    Emma it's fine to give a dog with hay fever an antihistamine tablet. In fact all dog owners should keep antihistamine in their pet first aid kit as if your dog is stung by a bee or a wasp a prompt dose of antihistamine will keep swelling to a minimum. Personally, though, I would use a tablet like Piriton, not Benadryl.

    Of course you will want to check with a vet in case there is another cause for the symptoms, but honestly, antihistamines are fine, in fact we've used them often with our vets full approval, both for our own dogs and the rescue fosters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie, that is really good to know. Promptly went out and got some Piriton and we'll see how she gets on. Off to the vets this week so should get some more answers...xx

      Delete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma