19/08/2012

springtime throw is finally finished!


I can't actually believe that this is finished.

I have made something with my own hands and it is finished and incredible!!! Wowee!

I am in shock.  I don't know what to do with myself.




This bitch of a crochet project was finished yesterday and I was going to wait to post about it until we have the nursery finished so you could see it in its rightful home but please note dear reader, the nursery is not even started yet!!.. and I'm too excited to wait.

The squares were all finished in the week and yesterday I got started on the border.  The pattern says to just do one single crochet around the edge but I thought it would look prettier with a double crochet added to the edge too, somehow it makes it look more like a baby blanket.



I think it finishes it off nicely, thank you very much ma'am!

Now I won't say it has been an easy ride.  You need to be a brave warrior to even attempt this project, this is not to say that I am either brave or a warrior, I was just incredibly a touch naive and it wasn't until I was committed that I realised the error of my ways and by then it was too flippin late!

There were times when I couldn't stand the sight of it, it would make me cross just walking in the room where it lived, we would sit and glare at each other in stony silence.

But on the plus side it's easy to make.  I have to keep reminding myself that this was the first ever crochet project I started and I did so because the squares are really quick and simple.  And it is totally worth it (TOTALLY WORTH IT), because look at it, I mean LOOK AT IT would ya..!!!!



Things you need to know if you want to make this blanket (yup because obviously I have awarded myself the title of authority figure, but then I have spent nine months of my life on it so I figured I would be allowed :o)

1. The pattern is available in Nicki Trench's beautiful book Cute and Easy Crochet. Do not underestimate this book, it is full of brilliant and very easy crochet patterns and I have made loads of other pretty things from it so you should have it in your collection.

If you don't want to buy the book, I think that this pattern was featured in an issue of Mollie Makes, I'm not sure which issue but it was somewhere nearer the start of the year so if you subscribe to MM, have a rummage through your back issues.

2. I used the Rooster Almerino DK yarn that Nicki uses in the book.  This is the most beautiful yarn ever, the colours are lovely and the wool is soft and pretty but you need to know that it is:

a. difficult to get hold of, and
b. quite expensive



Also if I knew when I started making it that this would end up being a baby blanket then I probably would have used a much softer, infinitely cheaper and more easily washable baby acrylic.

3. Try to keep your stitches fairly loose and try not to tighten the square up too much when you are sewing in your ends - I made this mistake on way too many of my squares and it made the final stages of crocheting the squares together and edging SO difficult, I had sore fingers and everything!

4. Sew in the ends as you go along otherwise it will destroy your soul.  I mean it.

So that's it.  I am done and feeling a bit smug, don't hate me for it.  I've never made anything like this before in my life and am usually a bit of a dunce when it comes to making stuff so I have good reason to be.

Let me know if you are going to attempt it, then I can give you encouragement and hardcore training advice to get you through to the end :o)

ps. please forgive the excessive use of capital letters and exclamation marks in this post, it's just that I'm so excited....weeeeeeeeeeeee!!







23 comments:

  1. AND SO YOU SHOULD BE!!!!
    please excuse my use of capitals( as you know it means shouting in www etiquettte) but you blooming well should be excited because thats no mean trick finishing a blanket like that! Its fantastic,wonderful,fabulous and every other adjective I can think of to describe something so phenomenal...ok toning it down a bit its darn right LOVELY!


    keep well

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no other feeling like finishing a blanket, I love the look of the Rooster but am not allowing myself to look. Love the little touch of colour around each square, you have done an amazing job. Thank you for letting us see it. I total;ly and utterly agree about your ends....sew in your ends as you go or else you will cease to enjoy it! Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Emma!
    You did a great job and the colors are amazing! This kind of thing needs loads of patience and talent so WELL DONE!
    And guess what... I like your pedicure too! :)
    Have a happy and creative week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh it looks absolutely gorgeous Emma, well done! The rooster yarn looks beautiful too.
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Your first crochet project! The blanket is just amazing. One very lucky baby I say!
    Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!! it's amazing well done, you made it. That's whats so great about making things the feeling you get at the end when you say ' I made that'. And soon your baby will be snuggling under it, it's just lovely really well done. The yarn looks lovely and soft, the price tag put me of it but the colours are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my ... your blanket is so scrummy ... I think I could quite possibly eat it ... a little mental I know :)... but oh so pretty ... your bambino will be a very lucky little one ... would love to do one ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning. I'd be stopping random people in the street to show them the finished blanket if I'd made it!
    I love the colours you've used and how the pattern seems to give a bit of a stained glass effect (well it seems like it to me :D)
    Well done hun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely beautiful.. So hard work but you made the blanket amazing...
    All best wishes..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! What a lovely piece to have as your first crochet project. It gives me the impression of stain glass and I think it is adorable. Great job. You have every right to be smug, happy, shouting! Job well done, Emma!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty I just love it, the colour's work so well together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOOO HOOOO WELL DONE LOVE! IT'S FANTASTIC!
    You are so funny. I love this post. And I know exactly what you are talking about. I crocheted a 'mini me' version and it was soooo much work.
    Your blanket is just adorable and I love that it's the same colours as the pattern.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good work!!!!
    You have been really "brava" and I admire you for your perseverance and patience!!!
    My Compliments, xoxo Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go with smug, you deserve it!! Gorgeous blankey : -)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow beautiful work!!!! take a look on my blog and if you like we can follow each other?
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. There's only one word Emma - WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, it's so beautiful. I totally understand your excitement, I'm like that every time I finish a blanket. Go ahead and be as smug as you want, you deserve it. I can almost feel how soft that wool is. Unfortunately the purse strings won't stretch that far...yet. Love and hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahhhhh thanks everyone, I'm glad you all like it, looks like the effort was worth it then...phew... :o) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh WOW WOW ans WOW again! What an incredible achievement honey. Its a masterpiece!!!! I would have no idea where to start with something like that. And look at how much love has gone into making it. Its far better than to have bought a blanket (and it will last a heck of a lot longer too!).

    And as always, I love your engaging way of writing. I think you'll have mumpreneur on your CV in a few years time!

    Lots of love from down under!

    Sarah xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  20. Poo! Sorry about the spelling mistake! Grrrr! S x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful blanket - well done! I'm just starting it actually (first crochet project) and have fallen at the first hurdle! Hope you don't mind if I ask you a question about it. In the second round, are all the treble crochets in the chain spaces? In the pattern half seem to specify they should be and half don't. Thank you. Hope you are enjoying your blanket.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen, I'm so sorry for the delay, I've been trying to find a way to contact you directly but I can't. Anyway I hope you read this and good luck for your Springtime Throw adventure....cripes you are brave especially after reading this post :) Yes indeed all the treble crochets are in the chain spaces, this was my first crochet project and I was confused for much of the time too but I found looking at pictures of the squares helped (well a little bit anyway). Email me if you need anything at all and send me some pics of your progress. xx

      Delete
  22. Hi,

    Fabulous blanket, I've done this as my first crochet project and not got long to go!! already done 378 squares and only taken me 6 weeks so I'm pretty happy!!! I just wanted to ask you, in Nikki's book it says to do 12 random colour ways, how did you do this? My email is jadeseaton@live.co.uk !! Hope to hear from you soon x

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma