07/09/2012

crochet heart garland


Pretty.....right?

I love the colours of this crochet heart garland and whilst it was fairly easy to make I made a right old meal out of doing so.

I don't know about "dedication's all you need" (if you want to be a record breaker), but my middle name on this one was "procrastination".  Boy do I know how to make a WIP painful!  It might have been something to do with the crazy whirlwind that is our life at the moment but when I pick up my crocheting at night I would always pick up something other than this.

Anyhoo, after much humming and hawing, I finally finished it and in time for popping up on the brilliantly, brightly painted, hated by Mr P, yellow chimney breast in the baby's room.


I don't know about you but I'm thinking yellow is a good thing, especially with that colourful heart garland set against it.  Just waiting on finding the right picture to go on this wall (I'm torn between two different ones at the moment) and I've got a lovely little set of brightly coloured letters to go on the mantelpiece, nearly getting there for baby (with all of two weeks to go)!!

The colour I used is Farrow and Ball Yellow Ground, don't all rush out to buy it at once now ;o)




The pattern I used for the hearts is a bit tricky and it wasn't until I got to the second to the last one that I realised it was wrong and how I could fix it....I am such a durr brain!  Here is my advice for Row 5;  it says to make 2 trebles into the first chain space, 3 trebles into the next, repeat one more time and finish with 2 trebles again but I found this just looked funny so for my last two hearts I added an extra set of 3 trebles* and it turned out a whole huge bit better.

Glad I got there in the end, it made the hearts so much prettier to look at, flatter and much less 'crumpled' looking - which is the only word I can think of to explain what the other hearts look like close up, this pink one is the last one I made so not crumpled at all.




To join them I just used a single crochet through the top, didn't do anything fancy, don't think it needs it.   The wool I used was from my Mum, I think she got it free with a crochet magazine.  It's a bit squeaky in the way that only good, cheap acrylic is but I think the colours are perfect and who cares about the quality of your fibres when they are slapped up against a (delightfully pretty) yellow wall :o)



What do you think?  Garlands? Thumbs up or thumbs down....I was on the fence but now I'm converted.  Yellow walls?  I didn't need converting on this one, I love yellow!!

Have a great weekend everyone.

*2 trebles ch1,  3 trebles ch1, 3 trebles ch1, 3 trebles ch1, 2 trebles....etc

7 comments:

  1. Oh my, you had the same problem I had Emma, and Iit took me about the same amount of time to work out what it was...I let Sandra know, the pattern was great otherwise. Yours are so much neater than mine, I have to make a second string now for 2nd daughter...will 3rd daughter want one as well?! this is my "duh brain" post http://knitknatknotuk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/going-dutch-and-crochet-heart-bunting.html If only I had known I could have put you out of your misery! yours are so neat and look lovely with the yellow. Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Emma .... definitely giving this a go for the little fairy ... love the yellow ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yellow colour of the wall and the heart bunting is so pretty! Yellow is such a happy bright colour...perfect I think (sorry Mr.P :P). Do share a photo of which picture you end up going for as well..I would love to see what you decide upon.
    Have a great weekend x
    Magie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This garland is absolutely beautiful!!!
    I'm getting addicted to garlands/buntings in the last few months. Before that I didn't even notice them!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thumbs up!!
    I love the garland! I want one too! But I'll probably have to buy it because I'm too impatient to make it myself. Great job Emma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thumbs up for the garland AND for the yellow wall. I love yellow. It is bright and sunny and happy. I love it so much, I had my kitchen painted yellow when we remodeled a few years back. Best decision I ever made. It turned a dungeon of a room into a place I enjoy being now. Yellow is happy color for babies. We all need a bit of sunshine in our lives. : )

    Hugs,
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma