18/09/2012

a precious heirloom for our baby



We were so overwhelmed at the weekend to receive this gift.

We had a visit from two of Mr P's Aunties on Saturday.  It was lovely to see them and we made cherry cake to celebrate, thinking they had just come for a natter and to make sure we were okay.

Whilst they did of course come for a natter, it turns out that they had an ulterior motive.  They completely surprised us, they were on a mission to deliver a family tradition and boy what an amazing family tradition it turned out to be.



This beautiful baby blanket is knitted!!  Knitted!! How cool is that!!  The one craft that resolutely refuses to be friends with me is the origin of this amazing piece of work.  I am gobsmacked.

I can't even begin to imagine how much time or patience or care would have been involved in the making of it, I just can't stop looking at it.  So beautiful.



Mr P's huge family is Maltese and every one of his cousins has received one of these baby blankets before the birth of their first child and at the weekend it was finally his turn.

We both get a bit emotional and tearful when we think about that, mainly because we never thought it would be our turn and also because it makes him miss his Mum.  Must stop now, tears are a-welling.

Instead I reckon you should just look at this knitted loveliness and be as amused as me at Mr P asking his Aunties on receiving the blanket "how did you get it to look 3D?"  Only from the mouth of a boy!




21 comments:

  1. It's absolutely beautiful and totally amazing. What a lucky baby and so nice to have a tradition like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely amazing and I think not many persons still know how to make such a piece of art! No wonder you are gobsmackd! So am I! Christa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that is the most stunning blanket I've ever seen! What a fabulous family tradition!
    Victoria xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha a 3D blanket!
    It's a work of art Emma! Beautifu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my cupcakes!! That blanket is a piece of art work, so so so amazing. Your baby is so spoilt. You & Mr.P must be very emotional!

    With love, shelley

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Emma, your new baby blanket is beautiful ... you and Mr P must be so delighted ... what a lovely family tradition ... my little ones were all christened in a handmade shawl which my brothers and I also used ... simple things create special memories ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well that will be a family heirloom for sure...it looks as if it will last and last and will one day cover the babes of your babe too. How wonderful is that!!! A treasure to be treasured...incredibly beautiful!
    Great tradition too!

    Amanda :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a nice family tradition very special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is beautiful, what a glorious thing! How wonderful to be able to wrap your baby in so much love, and what a fabulous extended family you clearly have :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow!!! What a lovely family tradition! This blanket is really beautiful Emma!!!
    xxxx Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely and rich tradition. So pretty and beautiful, the joys of becoming a parent comes with added bonuses like this blanket i must say!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So incredibly sweet...I can understand how much this gift must mean to you.
    It is a piece of art!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful tradition! Such work and love has gone into the making of it, it is just stunning. I am always in awe at knitted work like that, as I can only do a very basic knit scarf..anything else baffles me :P
    I am sure your little one will just adore it :)
    Take carex
    Magie

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a gorgeous blanket and a precious tradition. What a work of love this blanket is. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful family tradition, and what a stunning 3D blanket! Gorgeous to wrap your baby in something that has been knitted with so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my LORD!
    I want a baby just so I can wrap it in a blanket of gorgeousness like that!
    That is IN-CRED-I-BLE!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! That is a fantastic blanket. Lucky you and lucky baby

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is sooooooooooo beautiful. What a thing to have, use, keep and treasure

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow this is a really beautiful blanket but most of all it is a special one with so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous! Thanks a lot for sharing at my link party. Hope to see you back again next week.
    Enjoy your day!
    Best wishes from Holland,
    Annemarie

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma