04/12/2012

all about the veg box


I finally gave in to the lure of the organic veg box.

I've had one before (a very long time ago) but you do tend to throw lots away unless you are prepared to plan, and I mean PLAN like a crazy horse, your meals around what's in your box.

Annoyingly I live in the middle of some beautiful countryside but there doesn't seem to be any/many farm shops in the area, the only one anywhere nearby belongs to Prince flippin Charles..!! Imagine.

So unable to go out and get my organic veg I thought I'd give the veg box delivery another go after finding Abel & Cole.  They are smashing, I love their dedication to organic, local producers and healthy eating and their website is lush.

We are now the proud owners of a medium fruit and veg box which is delivered, along with a loaf of wholemeal bread from the Authentic Bread Company, every Monday.  Veggie heaven in a cardboard box.



We have had cabbages and kiwis, bananas, potatoes and an unfortunate misunderstanding with some chard!   We have become a bit greener and definitely more organic and it does force you to eat much more veg...obviously!

We also get little treats from time to time, this week we had a free mini mince pie (which Mr P scoffed), a Christmas recipe book and some eggs! Lovely stuff....they are truly the Bobby Dazzlers of the veg box world.

Does anyone else veg box?  It does take some organisation, as does blog posting...this particular post having been started way before Betsy was born.

5 comments:

  1. Lovely veg box, I loved when we used to get ours every week was a surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to get a local organic farm deliver but it was a pain having to leave a cheque out ( i know how lazy am i)and get things I didn't really use. It was near enough to visit weekly so I could pick and choose, it closed due to a lack of passing trade I do miss it as the locals supermarkets don't have much organic produce and I would rather support a local business. I thought of trying Abel and cole about six years ago when we lived in the town but never did... Maybe I will after your glowing review? How is your little bundle of joy? Mine is 7 months old now and eating me out of house and home. The organic veg will be very good when she is eating.Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support the local farm shop here, which I know I'm lucky to have. They sell very little that is organic, but most of the veg they sell is grown within sight of my house. Plus my longest-gap-year-ever son - The Farmer Boy as he has declared he is to be known - works there, so often what I get was picked by his own fair hands on his way home. Prepare for you veg prices to sky rocket though, yields are apparently down in most places due to the weather.

    You're allowed to be disorganised with that sweet little distraction of yours to keep you company :D

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma