10/05/2013

my ears they need some warming

They really do.

England is not the warmest of places to live, we get a tiny snatch of sunny and are collectively lulled into a false sense of summercurity and then BAM! freezing cold again, heating on, gear required for our heads and ears.





I am therefore officially gutted that this glorious headband-slash-earwarmer was made for and given to my gorgeous cousin Katrina for her Birthday. GUTTED!

I even sent her a text on the morning of her Birthday saying if you don't like it then I won't be offended in fact I'll be delighted so give it BACK!!  She declined and has declared her own kind of love for the delightful Morning Walk Earwarmer which I found on Ravelry.  I couldn't figure out why it was such a popular pattern and now I know, it is super.


It's knitted with big wool (Sirdar Big Softie) on big needles (12mm) and with lots of increases and decreases to give it the shape.  These proved a bit tricksy for my unpractised hands, especially the increases which were all different and meant I had to watch a video on YouTube every single time I had to do one (quite annoying) - I'm not sure why there couldn't just be one type of increase but I'm sure there must be a reason.  Then after all the knitting there is a crochet edge, which looks a lot better then I thought it would and it's finished off with a flower or any decoration of your choice.


Well I had to go super massive for the flower, thought something small and insignificant wouldn't be worth it plus me and my kinfolk all have massive heads (seriously, massive and super hardy heads, amazing) and big heads call for big flowers.

It's a basic crochet flower pattern using the same wool as the headband and I used this yarn for the middle flower, treble stranded and then knitted the buttony thing at the middle - ooh so la la.


So she loves it, I love it, I sneaked it onto me massive head for a quick photo before wrapping it up and now I'm making myself one because I don't feel that I can live without it.  Oh and I'm also making one for Katrina's friend Becky so if anyone else fancies one just let me know.

Personally I don't think a girl should live without an item that both warms the ears and looks fancy so I expect knitting these will keep me busy for the next few months.


The sun has just come out (must have heard me moaning) so I'm going to take my chance for a quick walk with the girls.  Have a nice weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Really hope the sun will be less shy in the next days!!!!
    your ear warmer is so beautiful on you!!! ;oD
    kisses to all the girls of the family, xxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! It has this '20s feel I really love.

    Have an amazing weekend, enjoy the sun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog <3 and more so I love my headband!! Thank you beautiful cousin xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a massive flower, it looks fab and warm ears too!! Have a lovely weekend x sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally feel the same way up here in Scotland! We get an odd day here or there of lovely warm sunshine and the rest of the days its cold, wet and rubbish! Your headband looks great and very cosy looking!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh, I think all of me needs warming with this weather we're having!!! Where is the sunshine??

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma