26/06/2014

midsummer



It's such a wonderful time of year isn't it?

England does good summer with her blue, blue skies and her most green and pleasant land. I am loving midsummer even more than usual because this year we have a working garden, by that I mean we have a patio whereas last year we had a giant gravel pit!

The joy of having a patio is never to be underrated, never.

We are a contented bunch here at bloom. Our days are spent gardening, reading, walking, goofing about and being annoyingly happy. These are wonderful days and I'm loving them to the max, just relaxing and being in the moment with my wonderful girl who is currently sitting beside me watching Old Jack's Boat and sucking her toes!

She is now old enough to potter in and out the back door to the garden and up and down the most treacherous stairs you've ever seen to her heart's content. She loves being outside. If you don't get the hint quickly, her standing in front of the door saying 'outside' repeatedly, she brings you her shoes and then your shoes and then daddy's shoes, anything to get you to open the damn doors.


I am cultivating my own brand of hodge-podge gardening style in which I buy pretty plants, dig them in and hope for the best. Most stuff does okay you know, gardening snobbery is revealed to be all a sham, designed to keep the florally nervous in the gloom of a flowerless summer.

There have been a number of high profile failures including a rather expensive purple hydrangea that I planted in, stood back to admire when Betsy came hurtling out of nowhere and landed on her bum, plop, right in the middle of it. The poor thing is still out there, the hydrangea not Betsy, squished and sad looking, there seems to be little hope for it but I'm hanging in there for a potential grand, purple return next year.



Serenity rules, summer is for lazing about and we are off to the south of France this weekend for even more of the stuff. Really looking forward to our holiday, planning on doing lots of nothing with a bit of sightseeing in between.

I'm officially a gardener now though, it's just started raining and I'm actually pleased because I think the plants need it! Hope the garden doesn't miss me too much.




3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to read you're having a beautiful summer! I enjoyed reading your post, so calming! :) Have fun in France! Kisses to your little girl! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lovely! I too think gardening is just trial and error ... it's lovely to have success though. Enjoy your holiday ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guessing you're in the garden! You surely can't still be in the south of France!

    Mind you, I can talk, I took a far longer break from knitso' than I'd intended.

    Hope all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma