06/09/2014

back to school


Yeah, me and my bro circa 1970 something or another....evidence, if evidence was ever needed, that I have always looked slightly evil and menacing...Darren is seeing a distinct similarity between me and Jack Nicholson at the end of The Shining! I'm inclined to see his point.

Back to school is the theme for today, this week, this month, for obvious reasons. My girl isn't old enough for me to get stressed/excited about uniform buying, how to make a school cardy last a whole year or whether to buy the Dora or the Hello Kitty lunch box. Instead I'll share my excitement of the season via the medium of blog because there must be more than a few of you who also love that whole new pencil case, new shoes, change of season back to school feeling?

I still do and it has been twenty six years since I left school, the excitement doesn't go away, I might be quite insane.

The difference in the air from summer, still nice but with a cooler edge always makes me think of the long drive back to boarding school every September, full of excitement with new shoes on and a school bag loaded up with pens, pencils and all manner of pretty stuff ready to be swiped, destroyed and lost over the coming weeks and months.


Hundreds of us would arrive back at school slightly dazed at how quickly the summer holidays had gone but stupidly excited at seeing one another again, immediately slipping back into old ways and alliances, happy to be free from parental supervision and boredom.

Now I no longer get shipped off to another world, I still find September to be a productive and busy month after the long, lounging days of August. I feel all ready for action and set myself a new timetable for getting shit done. Not quite so easy with an almost two year old who requires plenty of amusement pretty much all day long and who laughs in the face of plans.

I've got lists about lists, timetables and action plans, I am an all round geek and organiser of stuff - mundane and inconsequential for the most part - but that's the point for me, making the mundane a bit more colourful.


I have a filofax for organising life, a filofax for organising blog stuff, my phone organiser, a business book, a journal, a writing book and a calendar on the kitchen wall too - it's a full-time job to keep my organisers organised, says she with mock disdain.

Now I just need me some lessons to go to, a new PE kit, bad haircut and Clarks shoes. I will then be suitably prepped and ready for the new school year.

5 comments:

  1. haha,, both of you look so cute. and yeah, you look like you're up to no good in that picture!
    ooh, i have a weakness for stationery. that notebook is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OoOh I know that notebook is a Rifle Paper Company one....love it x

      Delete
  2. So I am not the only one... phew! When I went to school loooong ago, I used to make a big fuss about my schoolsupplies ;-). And I still love all that planning and calender stuff, although I'm rubbish at planning...
    That first photo is so cute! You look like you have a cunning plan... ;-)
    Love from Mirjamxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not the only one Mirjam :o) and yes it isn't so much the planning but all the pretty planners that I love... :o))) xx

      Delete
  3. that picture…… just love it!!!! your face is brilliant and clever!!!!
    about school supplies : when I was in primary school I clearly remember that I was always dreaming to have my own stationery shop…. sigh !!!!!
    xxxxxx Ale

    ReplyDelete

Hey there

Got something on your mind?

Did I make you laugh, cry or even spit feathers?

Tell me, tell me, I appreciate all feedback and love a good chat. I even turned that stupid word verification off to make it easier for you to do so.

Emma